In addition to everyday services we also offer the following:
After a consultation to consider the most appropriate form of contraception, we can prescribe pills or patches, administer injections or arrange a referral to have a coil or implant fitted or removed.
If you are planning on starting a family in the near future then it is advised that you come to see your GP. The latest advice is that mothers should take Folic Acid from the time she conceives until she is about 12 weeks. As pregnancy will greatly affect diabetic control, all female diabetic patients considering having a baby should go and speak to their diabetic nurse for advice.
There is a midwife based at the Looe Children’s Centre. She is part of a team caring for all of East Cornwall and will offer:
- Pre-conceptual advice for those ladies who are considering a future pregnancy.
- Choice of where to give birth. This includes homebirth, Penrice Birth Centre at St. Austell, Treliske Hospital in Truro or Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.
- Weekly antenatal clinics, Antenatal Education Groups and Aqua-natal classes.
The midwife is the lead professional in partnership with the patient and her GP. The midwife is able to refer women directly to the hospital and other multi-agencies involved with her care if necessary.
There is a water birth pool at Penrice Birth Centre and Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. A county wide policy of flexible antenatal and postnatal visiting is offered and our midwifery service is regularly audited.
To access the midwifery services you can make an appointment by ringing 07770 971315 for non-urgent calls/messages
- Cervical smears are performed every 3-5 years depending on age. Reminders are sent out by letter from the screening department when they are due. Those with previously abnormal results may require more frequent tests. The result will be sent to you from the screening department.
- Mammograms are performed every 3 years and are provided by the health authority for females aged from 50 to 70 and over 70’s on request.
- Cholesterol tests for patients who smoke, have high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease or have a family history of high cholesterol.
- Bowel Cancer Screening is sent by post and is offered to patients aged between 60-70 and 70+ on request.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening is offered to males over 65 and you will be contacted by the screening department.
- NHS Health Checks are offered to qualifying patients aged between 40-74 years to check and assess your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and stroke.