In addition to everyday services we also offer the following:
After a consultation to consider the most appropriate form of contraception, we can prescribe pills or patches, administer injections or arrange a referral to have a coil or implant fitted or removed.
If you are planning on starting a family in the near future then it is advised that you come to see your GP. The latest advice is that mothers should take Folic Acid from the time she conceives until she is about 12 weeks. As pregnancy will greatly affect diabetic control, all female diabetic patients considering having a baby should go and speak to their diabetic nurse for advice.
Midwifery Care in the Community
The Community Midwifery service is made up of 5 teams consisting of both Midwives and Maternity Support Workers providing care for women in their local area.
Your appointment with your midwife will be held in one of the local children’s centres or community clinics which are focused on a designated geographical area.
If you need to contact a midwife, for any non-urgent queries or to change an appointment, a message can be forwarded to them via the community midwives admin team on 01752 437555 from Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
Should you have any medical enquiries then please contact Triage on 01752 430200.
Torpoint Community Clinic, Oak Tree Surgery, Callington Health Centre, Saltash Health Centre
Liskeard Hospital, Clemo Rd, PL14 3XD, 01579 373575
Tavistock Children’s Centre, Abbey Rise, PL19 9FD, 01822 614210
Call 01872 327066 for the following Family Hubs:
- Saltash Family Hub, Plougastal Drive PL12 6DL
- Liskeard Family Hub, Varley Lane, Liskeard, PL14 4AP
- Callington Community Hub, Haye Road, Callington. PL17 7JJ
- Looe Family Hub, Trewint Crescent, PL13 1ET
- Torpoint Family Hub, Trevol Road, PL11 2NH
- Cervical smears are performed every 3-5 years depending on age. Reminders are sent out by letter from the screening department when they are due. Those with previously abnormal results may require more frequent tests. The result will be sent to you from the screening department.
- Mammograms are performed every 3 years and are provided by the health authority for females aged from 50 to 70 and over 70’s on request.
- Cholesterol tests for patients who smoke, have high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease or have a family history of high cholesterol.
- Bowel Cancer Screening is sent by post and is offered to patients aged between 60-70 and 70+ on request.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening is offered to males over 65 and you will be contacted by the screening department.
- NHS Health Checks are offered to qualifying patients aged between 40-74 years to check and assess your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and stroke.