Situated in the beautiful Cornish seaside town of Looe, we are a friendly and caring semi-rural GP practice serving circa 9,750 patients.
Overlooking Looe estuary, in a stunning harbourside location and with smaller surgeries in Pelynt and Polperro, we are looking for a Registered General Nurse to come and join our welcoming Practice Team.
Working 37 hours per week, with 6 weeks annual leave plus bank holidays, the candidate must have good knowledge of chronic disease management (particularly respiratory medicine), an interest in Primary Care, and a willingness to learn. Experience in childhood immunisations and cervical cytology would be desirable, and the candidate must have a current NMC registration. Job sharing could be considered, for the right candidates.
Main duties of the job
Working within the friendly Nursing team to provide and maintain a safe, high standard of nursing care to the local population.
Undertake clinic sessions involving chronic disease management, wound care, minor injuries, vaccination programmes, cervical cytology, ear irrigation, IM and SC injections.
With 3 GP Partners, 4 Salaried GP’s, 1 Advanced Nurse Practitioner, 2 Nurses, 4 Health Care Assistants, 1 Paramedic and 2 Clinical Pharmacists, all supported by full administrative and reception teams, we serve a population of over 9,750 patients.
- Assess, plan and implement effective health promotion and individual care plans to those with a known Long-Term Condition
- Provide evidence-based care for people presenting with a variety of treatment room needs, adhering to local and national guidance
- Administer vaccines to those eligible within the UK national vaccination programmes, including visiting care home and housebound patients, and taking into account those with an incomplete or different vaccine history and following evidence – based guidance
- Provide travel health service with advice and vaccination as the current guidelines direct
- Support people attending for cervical cytology screening, and use the contact as an opportunity to provide health promotion strategies including sexual and mental heath where identified
- Administer intramuscular or subcutaneous injections as prescribed using local PGD’s or PSD’s
- Venepuncture and ear irrigation skills where necessary or requested
- Support and recognise emergency situations, and provide urgent clinical assistance
- Partake in extended hours service, which currently consist of two morning sessions per week but are subject to change with demand
- Participate in national vaccination programmes where ‘super clinics’ are held outside of clinic times. This has been for Influenza vaccinations, and more recently Covid-19 vaccines
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team, communicating with secondary care specialists to provide patients with clinical excellence and support
- Uphold the NMC Code of Conduct at all times
- Registered Adult Nurse
- Currently registered with the NMC
- Post graduate Practice Nurse qualification
Skills and Ability
- Self-motivated in own development and progress
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Able to prioritise workload and assist others in doing so
- Knows own limitations and is open and honest about sharing information
- Team player
- Flexibility to cover
- Sense of humour
- High motivation to learn
- Experience working with chronic disease management
- Knowledge of Primary Care procedures
- Knowledge of QoF
- Experience with respiratory chronic disease management, or an interest in this area
- Cervical cytology
- Wound care
- Infection control lead
To find out more simply send your CV or contact our Practice Manager, Tracey Stammers, for more information. Closing date June 4th 2021.
Old Bridge Surgery, Station Road, Looe, Cornwall, PL13 1HA. 01503 266 960, [email protected]